Motor Vehicle Operator
Job ID: 2020-2312
# of Openings: 2
Category: Skilled Trades
SJS Executives is currently seeking a talented Motor Vehicle Operator to join our team. Our ideal candidate will have knowledge operates primarily vehicles weighing more than 32,000 pounds, such as semitractor trailers, heavy duty flatbed trucks, heavy fuel trucks, heavy straight in-line trucks, heavy fuel tank trucks, heavy vacuum trucks, crane trucks, forklifts, snowplow equipment, street sweeping and busses. The candidate might also be called upon to serve as a member of a rigging crew during periods of insufficient productive work as a motor vehicle operator.
- Operates primarily vehicles weighing more than 32.000 pounds, such as, semi-tractor-trailers, heavy duty flatbed trucks, heavy fuel tank trucks, heavy straight in-line trucks, heavy duty tow trucks, heavy vacuum trucks, crane trucks, and heavy-duty waste disposal/trash collection trucks.
- Operates truck tractors with trailer or semitrailer coupled by means of a turntable (fifth wheel) or pintle (pivot) hook, and /or tandem rig consisting of either a single trailer or two trailers in tow. Vehicles are equipped with air brake connections between the truck or truck tractor and trailer or semitrailer
- Driving controls include gear shift lever, brake pedal, accelerator, clutch and air brake control and levers for supplying power to the driving wheels.
- Couples and uncouples the truck tractor and semi-trailer or truck and trailer and connect and disconnect the air brakes and electrical lines. Vehicles operated may have limited maneuverability, have more than one body and two braking systems, or are oversized.
- Responsible for the safe transport of cargo and passengers.
- Operation of heavy vehicles such as, tractor-trailer or truck and full trailer combinations requires knowledge and skill to determine the correct turning radius for these flection-type vehicles; to back a trailer into loading docks, between buildings, parked aircraft, and other trailers; to operate in narrow, congested areas, and congested ports or fueling/refueling facilities; and skill in applying the dual braking system for combination vehicles especially on steep winding grades, without causing the trailers to jackknife.
- Refueling operations involve driving heavy load vehicles on the flight line as well as over public roads; and operating the vehicle's auxiliary pumping system including regulating the pumping pressure and the rate of fuel flow which varies with each type of aircraft being serviced.
- Planning the route in accomplishing long distance driving; performing the full range of load planning; and maneuvering through congested locations, difficult metropolitan traffic, high speed highways, narrow country or mountain roads, and steep winding grades
- Performs operator maintenance on all vehicles operated to include but not limited to: checking fuel, oil, tires, brakes; installing an emergency fan belt or replacing an electrical fuse; and, as required, makes minor repairs or adjustments.
- Load, arrange, and secure varied cargo when relative weights, tie-down requirements, and unloading sequence must be considered. Operators direct/oversee or assist others with the loading and unloading of cargo and make difficult judgments concerning the arrangement and securing of the cargo. This responsibility is great because the size and type of the vehicle increases the tendency of the trailer to sway and the driver to lose control of the vehicle.
- Maneuvering oversized vehicles, evaluating conditions and load limits of bridges, in scheduling weigh points, and in assessing traffic conditions and hazards locally and over long¬ distance routes;
- Work is evaluated for efficiency, safety, and compliance with established policies, procedures, and Instructions pertinent to the driving mission.
- May occasionally operate lighter vehicles such as, buses, dump trucks, carry-alls, platform trucks, stake trucks, vans, etc.
- May perform duties in support of hazardous material handling, such as functions supporting safe storage and movement of hazardous or toxic materials such as hazardous wastes or certain types of ammunition, explosives, chemicals, or radioactive materials in accordance with facility and regulatory requirements.Applies skills in operating forklifts and/or other motor vehicles to load, transport, and store hazardous materials.
- May work as part of a hazardous material response team involved in the emergency and non-emergency containments and clean-up of hazardous spills. May require HAZMAT training and certification.
- Perform minor repairs or adjustments on vehicles;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- U.S. Citizen
- 3+ years of experience
- Valid Class A Commercial Drivers' License with Class and endorsements P (Passenger), X (Tanker) license Endorsements, H (Hazardous Material), and/or S (School Bus) license endorsements.
- Possess a medical card that indicates they have passed a medical physical to supplement their CDL
- Forklift certification up to 12,000 pounds.
- Must be able to pass background check and drug screen
- Must have clean driving record
SJS Executives, LLC is EOE, AA, M/F/Vet/Disability compliant. US Citizenship required for most jobs. PI120362640